Monday, April 9, 2012

Untitled.

Let's begin with a fun fact about me: I often compose blog posts in my mind on long walks to or from campus. I've found that this brain writing is most fruitful when either the Maeser building or the testing center is one of my destinations, simply because the walk gives me the most long to think. Because the walk is really long.

Rewind one and halfish months and two Physical Science tests and you find me here, whining about a disappointing walk home from the testing center. That was not a happy place. 

Alright. Consider my jumbled, sort-of-logical-if-you-tilt-your-head-and-squint preamble complete. This is the part where you circle up with your carpet squares so that I can tell you a story. 

Today was my very last Physical Science lecture EVER. It was also the day I had to take a test for that class. (This is my quick rant about how rude it is for them to schedule a "midterm" the week before finals.) Naturally, I was not looking forward to taking the test. I believe that I have made it inescapably clear how much I despise that class. When people ask me how the class is going, my first instinct is generally to grimace and/or hide. 

I felt a little bit better prepared for this test when compared to the other tests for the class. I went to a great review last week, got some help from a friend, and locked myself in the library for almost six hours this afternoon. But, as I approached the testing center, I still felt a decent amount of trepidation and dread. When I approached the building, I was surprised to see a group of people congregated outside the door. I continued to walk toward the door and one of the girls approached me. She pulled a Twix and a slip of paper out of a grocery bag and handed them to me. "Good luck on your test!" she said. I thanked her and she and the rest of her friends cheered as I entered the building and assured me that I'd rock the test. 

Already feeling a little bit more confident and calm, I went upstairs and found no line. With an internal fist pump, I approached the counter and handed the rather handsome testing center employee my ID card. Our conversation went something like this:

Rather Handsome Testing Center Employee: What test do you need?
Me: Physical Science. 
RHTCE: No problem, my friend. 
[RHTCE swipes my card and fetches the test]
RHTCE: (handing me the test) You can't write on it or use a calculator and you'll get a bubble sheet and an essay sheet at the printer. Would you like a good-luck high five?
Me: Absolutely. 
[Commencement of good-luck high five]
RHTCE: Let us move to the printer
Me: Yes, let's. 
RHTCE: (picking up my answer sheets) Here you go Madeline Green....something. 
Me: Greenhalgh. 
RHTCE: Alright, Madeline Greenhalgh. Good luck on your test!
Me: Thanks! 

I then proceeded into the testing room and found a seat, feeling completely calm and at ease. The feeling stuck with me throughout the test and made it so much easier for me to think logically and recall the information I'd studied. When I was finished, I glanced back over a few questions I was unsure about and then turned in my test, still feeling no anxiety whatsoever. That was a first for me when it comes to Physical Science tests. 

I walked down the stairs with a target score in mind, crossing my fingers that this wasn't one of those times when I felt confident about a test for absolutely no reason. And guess what? It wasn't! Not only did I pass my target score, but I got an A! Also a first for Physical Science tests! 

On the walk home, I began composing this post in my head. I had a pretty good outline by the time I encountered a group of young families taking an evening walk around campus. There was a gaggle of 4-6 year olds, a few babies being cradled by their mamas, and one solitary toddler. The "big" kids were having a race. Somebody shouted "GO!" and they all took off. Like any little sibling would do, the toddler tried to run after his siblings/friends. It wasn't long before he realized that his chubby little legs were just not up to par with those of the other kids. Rather than get upset and whine to mommy about how the big kids wouldn't let him play, he stopped running, crouched into an exaggerated runner's stance, and said, "Ready....GO!" He then took off running at his own pace. After about ten feet, he got tired, and then repeated the whole process again. As I passed them, I heard several more "GO!s" as he ran his own race over and over again. Needless to say, this was one of the most adorable things I've witnessed.  

Alright. So that was a long and not terribly exciting story. But that wasn't the point of it. Nor was it to brag that I finally did well on a PS test. Well, not entirely at least. The point was to show how a little kindness can go a long way. I know that it wasn't the candy, inspirational quote, and high-five that helped me pass my test, but they did calm me and help me to feel at ease. Who knows what I could have messed up if I'd remained anxious and stressed out? 

And, oh, that precious, chubby little boy. He reminded me that if something seems too difficult to accomplish, you can always slow down, break it into smaller chunks, and take it at your own pace. There is no shame in that. 

And now, since I don't have any clever way to wrap this up, I'll leave you with the quote handed to me by my new buddies outside of the testing center:

"Love is the catalyst that causes change. Love is the balm that brings healing to the soul. But love doesn't grow like weeds or fall like rain. Love has its price."
                              --Thomas S. Monson

1 comment: