Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The end of the beginning.

Now that I'm officially done with my first semester of college (that's right....the soap's been carved, the presentation has been made, and my tests have been completed. And forgive my extensive use of passive voice.) I feel it is appropriate to reflect on the things that I have learned. Not academic, study-it-for-the-test kinds of things, but life lessons. The things that may actually be applicable to me five years down the road.

I've grown a lot in these past few months (metaphorically, thank goodness. I don't think I could handle being any taller). I've figured out more of who I am and who I want to become some day. Some of my strengths have been revealed to me and you'd better believe that I have a more firm grasp on my weaknesses. And I have a lot of those. But, we're not going to dwell on that. I now have a greater appreciation for the role my family and friends play in my life. Being away from the people you love and count on has a tendency to make you realize how much you take their company and assistance and advice for granted. It's painfully cliche of me to say this, but you don't know what you have until it's gone! Luckily for me, they're not actually gone. They're just 1,600 miles away.

With that being said, here is a non-exhaustive list of the things I've learned and the ways I've grown:


  • How to get ready for the day in the dark--this may not seem like a big deal to any of you, but keep in mind that I had never shared a room before college and, therefore, never had the need to develop this skill. 
  •  Falling asleep with the light on every night? No problem.
  • Every time I say 'no problem,' I think of The Princess Bride. 
  • How to truly study the scriptures, and not just read them--Thanks, Brother Griffin! 
  • Learning and getting good grades aren't always the same thing
  • A made bed makes the room look bigger
  • Heavenly Father puts the people you need to know right in your pathway
  • Having a clean room makes it easier to concentrate and makes me happier--Mom, now would be the appropriate time to say "I told you so!" Go ahead. You have my permission (:
  • My Love Language is Quality Time
  • Seeing somebody I know on campus when I'm having a terrible day is almost as exciting as Christmas--key word: ALMOST.
  • Making soap sculptures is actually quite fun. 
I feel it's unnecessary to say this, since I quite obviously DON'T
have any artistic skills, but I had nothing to do with the wise man.
A friend (who was supposed there for moral support and ended
up showing me up big time) carved that one.  But it's all good (:
  • Though I love cooking, there are some days when I wish I had a home-cooked meal waiting for me at home.
  • When grocery shopping seems to be a mountain that can't be climbed, living off of rice is a perfectly acceptable alternative. 
  • Prayer changes things. 
  • There is a Michael Bublé song for every mood
  • The lights in Temple Square are magical
  • Meeting new people is fun--not scary! --OK. Most of the time. 
  • Electric blankets can change lives. Or at least comfort level when sleeping. 
  • Reading for fun is a luxury. 
  • Life is what you make of it. 
  • Small acts of kindness mean the most. 
  • Picking out linguistic properties in every day language fills me with joy.
  • Good memories can keep you going on the hardest days. 
  • I have the best friends ever!
  • Ditto for the family!
  • And so on....
I could keep going for pages and pages, but I'll spare you (ONE MORE! I just employed the Gricean Maxim of quantity...that's one study-it-for-the-test things I've learned). I really am grateful for all of the experiences I've had here in Provo. I love it here and I look forward to the next 3.5 years that I'll live here while finishing my education. 

But for now? I'm ready to go home

No comments:

Post a Comment