Wednesday, June 27, 2012

three's a {fun} crowd

They say that good things come in pairs, but I think that everybody in my family would have to heartily disagree. Rather, good things come in sets of three.  More specifically, this set of three:

M, S, C
These handsome young men are my little brothers. Littler than me only in age, as Simon is so quick to remind me from his higher (6'1") vantage point. Having triplet siblings isn't something that a whole lot of people can boast. And though I sometimes resented the rarity of their relationship when I was a child (I didn't always enjoy being known as The Girl With Triplet Brothers), I really do love the unique nature of my family that wouldn't be possible without them.

Today is the triplets' 15th birthday. This is the part when assorted ward members would be tempted to say something like "15? Oh my goodness! I remember going and seeing them in the hospital just after they were born!" even though they can't possibly remember that because the trips were born in Maine. But they were pretty tiny when we moved her, I'll give them that. All gentle teasing aside, it really is crazy how grown up they are. Someday I'll get used to the idea of them being something other than adorable little toddlers playing on the swing set in the backyard. Someday. 

It's true that the triplets are great sons, friends, and brothers. But it's also true that Connor is a great son, friend, and brother. Mitchell is a great son, friend, and brother. And Simon is a great son, friend, and brother. They share the same birthday, but they are all different people.There is a myth floating around that triplets (or any multiples, for that matter) must be exactly the same. They must have the same hobbies, friends, likes and dislikes, ideas, thoughts, and aspirations. Our boys share a lot of those things, but they are each very unique. And let me tell you, I am so glad they are not carbon copies of each other. Do you have any idea how boring that would be? I love them collectively, but I love them individually as well. 

So here's to my littles turning 15. The celebration began this morning with cinnamon rolls for breakfast and we have plenty of other birthday plans to keep us busy. And since they're turning 15, here are 15 things that I associate with each of my boys: 

Conrad: goofy, Sporcle, runner, fighty people...SAMURAI!!, Tootsie Pops, reader, napkin misfires, intelligent,  Lego lovepen whiz, lovable, garbage disposal stomach, loud, energetic, laughs at own jokes.

Mitchello: sweet, grocery shopping buddy, inquisitive, soccer, thoughtful, the signature Mitchell Face, green, dedicated, self-inflicted dimple, athletic, pasta legs, sharer of pizza crusts, hardworking, Greek yogurt, hugger

Bear: S-G SWAGGAH!, sheepish grins, "Grandma always said...", ridgy-didgy, funny, passionate, scamming Culver's, loving, versatile, Alpha-male, loyal, Nuclear Pie, dangerous to wake up, competitive, Sasquatch 

Happy Birthday, guys! And even though I sort of threw a fit when I found out that they were all boys and that I wasn't getting a single sister out of the lot, I wouldn't have it any other way.  

2 comments:

  1. Just thought I'd say that I LOVE that picture of your brothers, Maddie(: Happy Birthday, Simon, Mitchell, and Connor! Hope it's been the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, we didn't get to see you guys for this family reunion. Happy Birthday Simon, Mitchell, and Connor.

    ReplyDelete