Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day Three

If you've spent any time at all with my family, you must know that sometimes, we're a bit odd.  I usually blame the triplets for this, because - let's face it - they are the culprits most of the time. Not that I don't have my fair share of oddities, but that's not my point. Simon in particular was quite interesting today. Upon arriving back to the house after church and a lovely tour of Bangor, Brewer and Hampden (more about that later), he changed into a pair of black track pants. When we sat down to eat linner (we traditionally eat rather early on Sundays), he proudly declared that he was wearing his "church pants in disguise." He got quite the kick out of it and proceeded to make many, many references to his "church pants." It soon caught on, and now the rest of the family makes jokes or just refers to him as Church Pants. Connor also earned a new nickname when he was complaining about his inability to do a good Indian accent. However, he said 'accident' instead of 'accent,' to which my dad replied: "You really are an Indian Accident." Mitchell, as usual, remained quiet in the backseat and has not received any new nicknames. His time will come.

Moving on to the things that you have a chance of caring about.  We went to our old ward for church today. Well. Sort of. Since we left 14 years ago, it has split and resplit and unsplit and done a lot of crazy things, as far as I understand. But, we went to the same building with most of the people that we (mostly my parents) knew. I did recognize some people and had heard stories about a lot of the others, so it was almost like knowing them in the first place. It was fun to catch up and, like I always do when I go to a different ward, marvel at how the church really is the same wherever you go. How I love that!

After church, we drove around our old haunts. I recognized a little bit more than I expected to, but still not much. I officially love this part of the country. I have this obsession with colorful, old houses, and Bangor does not disappoint!





We saw Stephen King's house among said old houses. I've had very few brushes with celebrities (I saw Richard Simmons at the airport once. That's pretty much it.) so it was mildly cool to see the house of somebody I'd actually heard of.

See the spiders and webs on the gate?


After exploring Mr. King's neighborhood, we visited the hospital where the triplets and I were born and both houses that we lived in while here in Maine.






We finished off the evening with a trip to the "pond" near our house (apparently "pond" in Maine is equivalent to "lake" in Kentucky) and by visiting the first of many lighthouses we'll see this trip. Some people think they're boring and all run together when seen in large quantities, but I rather like them. Perhaps that's just because one is by the ocean when one sees lighthouses, but I don't think that is the whole explanation since Maine beaches boast none of the elements that made traditional beaches so enjoyable.







No comments:

Post a Comment