Thursday, August 29, 2013

from the mouths of seven-year-olds

Honestly, one of the things that I miss the most being away at college other than my family is being around children. And who wouldn't, when they say things like this:

On the requirements for death:
"When you die, you have to have white or gray hair, or you're not allowed."

On the uncertainty of the future:
Seven-Year-Old: Maddie, will you be a mommy before I'm a teenager?
Me: I don' t know. Maybe. If I am, will you babysit my kids?
SYO: Maybe. If my mom lets me. But she might die before then.

On the repercussions of getting older: 
"What if you were 39? Or 60 hundred? Or a zillion? Would you fill the whole house?"

On living in an alternate universe:
SYO 1: What if we had magic?
Me: That would be cool. What would you guys do if you had magic?
SYO 2: I would dance gracefully.

On fire resistance:
"Maddie, what if your face was on fire, but it wasn't burning, and it only burned the bed?"

On the manufacturing of modern technology:
"How did they make your phone? Are there a hundred cords in there? I don't think a zillion cords could fit."

On heaven:
SYO's Dad: Ebelskivers are little balls of heaven. Do you want some?
SYO: No. I don't like heaven.

1 comment: