Sunday, June 2, 2013

wpsum #2

Woo
Last semester, I was a Writing Fellow at BYU which basically meant that I got paid to read, critique, and respond to student papers from a certain class before they were turned in for a grade. I was assigned to a geology class, so I read a bucket load of papers about dinosaurs. More specifically dinosaur feathers. Basically there is this theory that dinosaurs actually had feathers that were used for a variety of purposes blah blah blah blah. One of these hypothesized purposes was to attract mates. (This story has a purpose, I swear!) So I got this one paper arguing that attracting a mate was the main use of these special feathers. For about a paragraph and a half, the writer of this paper discussed how male dinosaurs used their plumes and fancy feathers to woo a mate. She must have used the word woo about six times in this short space.

I thought it was hysterical. It's really just a funny word that I thoroughly enjoy using.

Here are some examples of appropriate usages of woo:

When discussing a failed date with your roommate

Yeah, I don't know what was wrong with him. He didn't even try to woo me with chocolate or Hot Tamales.

When giving a pep talk to a friend who wants to pursue a girl

If you want to woo her, you woo her! Just grab her and woo her. Woo the crap out of her!

When your roommate goes on way more dates than you do 

She's wooing men, hallelujah! She's wooing men, ah ah ah!

When you see a hottie

Man, I'd like to woo that!

Okay, so I'm aware that all of these are basically the exact same situation, but I just really like to use the word woo and I really like quoting movies/songs. Deal with it.

1 comment:

  1. This one made my sides hurt. That last one in particular.

    ReplyDelete