Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bouquet of Sharpened Pencils

I composed a partial blog post today as I walked to my writing class. I was feeling momentarily inspired by the gold and scarlet leaves adorning the trees and the shriveled, brown ones crunching under my feet. The mountains stood firm behind me, ensuring that I'd always know where to go. (I'm being literal here, folks...remembering that the mountains are east is the only way I know my directions.) The sun was shining, there was a slight breeze. It was a perfect day. In the words of Cheryl Fraiser, it was "not too hot and not too cold. All you need is a light jacket!"

When I sat down to try and translate my thoughts and feelings from that moment into a cohesive paragraph, I found that I couldn't do it. Every time that I tried to, it came out sounding like a watered down regurgitation of a quote from You've Got Mail. ("Don't you just love New York in the fall?") Naturally, New York would have been substituted with Provo, in this case, but the same general idea was there. 

Anyway, the combination of that cozy feeling of fall and memories of favorite movie wrapped me in nostalgia. Good nostalgia,though. Not the depressing kind that makes you want to sigh loudly and stare at old pictures and wonder about the things that could have been. It's a comfortable, feel-good kind of that makes me appreciate the past memories and look forward to the times to come. 

P.S. If a guy ever offers me a bouquet of sharpened pencils, I'll know he's the one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment