Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Great Greenhalgh Road Trip: Day One

For the triplets' 14th birthday, we decided to go all out and return to the site of their birth. Ok, so maybe that's not the real reason we're going, but we will be in the state of their (and my!) birth on their birthday. This trip has been in the making for years now if you count my persistent inquiries to go back ("Mom, we should really go to Maine this year!") as "in the making." Which I do. But in all seriousness, it has been something that's been thrown around for quite some time, but keeps getting pushed back due to other fun trips (family reunions, Germany) and general business (soccer, cross country, jobs, sending off and receiving sons/brothers from missions).

We set off in the early hours of the morning. A you can see, we were all awake, alert and compliant.


Hah. I jest.  After a few very quiet hours for our fabulous chauffeur, we were rested (mostly) and ready (and excited) to begin our Harry Potter marathon (which is going swimmingly, by the way. We made it to the first part of Order of the Phoenix before calling it a night)


A good, healthy dose of a family favorite (Scooby Doo Fruit Snacks) also assisted. Connor took the phrase "good, healthy dose" a wee bit too far and ate four packs in the space of about 7 minutes before I managed to confiscate the box.



We made a pit stop along the way to view the lovely, misty, rushing Niagara Falls. This was the first time that the boys and I really saw the landmark (I visited when I was a baby, but have no recollection of it). It was an amazing view, even from the American side, and everybody enjoyed it. Even when the wind changed and we got blasted in the face with a lot of misty water. 







 The majority of the day was uneventful, except for when we stopped at a rest stop to grab something to eat and the boys got it in their heads that we were at the hotel. They claim I told them that, but I most definitely did not. They got a lot of grief about that, and will most likely continue to get teased until they do something else worth my teasing! (: 

 Up next: Bedtime, early morning workout and on the road by 8:30. We'll see how that goes! 

**So the "up next" isn't entirely accurate, since it is clearly Saturday morning, but the internet crashed last night.  But, I'll just leave it as is. And for the record, the bedtime portion was successful, and the early (though not as early as planned, because a few family members *cough* Mom, Dad, Connor! *cough* didn't wake up on time. I know, it's a shocker that Mitch and I did, but that's another story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment