Friday, October 31, 2014

baby steps to graduation

Remember how I freaked out about graduation a few days ago?

Yeah, me neither.

But I'm officially on track to transition from student to alumnus. Alum?  Alumni? Aluminum? Latin is hard. I should have been paying better attention to Gilmore Girls the other day when Rory explained the difference to Lorelai.

ANYWAY, here's all the graduation preparation stuff I did this week:

> I called the Humanities Advisement Center to make sure that all my German classes for the foreign language requirement actually are in the system. They were on my transcript, but on MyMap, the requirement wasn't labeled complete. When I realized this, I freaked out, thinking I'd somehow not taken the right number of credits. Even after counting and recounting how many credits I'd taken many times, I was still convinced that I wasn't going to be able to graduate without more German classes. I was all "BUT I HAVEN'T TAKEN GERMAN IN OVER A YEAR, AND THE RMs IN MY LAST GERMAN CLASS TREATED ME LIKE I WAS STUPID EVEN THOUGH I WAS DOING BETTER IN THE CLASS THAN THEY WERE NONONONONONO!" Needless to say, I overreacted a tad bit. Shocker. But the nice lady at the advisement center not only confirmed that my foreign language credit was actually complete, but she also was kind enough to double check all my other requirements to ensure that I'm in tip-top shape for gradumicate. (I am! Yay!)

> I registered for my last semester of classes! Weird. I have two final classes for my major (one of which I've been dreading my entire college career...) and two classes all about children's literature! One is Children's Publishing, which is a class in my department that talks about all aspects of publishing in the world of kids' lit (everything from writing to illustrating to editing) and the other is a straight up children's literature class from the Elementary Education department. It only took a billion years to get in touch with them so that I could get an add code, but whatevs. I'm pumped. I'm also toying with the idea of taking a yoga or pilates class or something. I've avoided exercise classes for three and a half years now because group exercise makes me uncomfortable. But as I told my roommate the other day, I'm very, very good at staying in my comfort zone, so maybe its time for me to try breaking out of it a little. She agreed.

> I applied for graduation! It was much less dramatic than I was expecting, so I was a tiny bit disappointed. I was kind of hoping for some balloons or confetti or at least an 'atta girl! Instead they charged me 15 bucks. Lame.

It'd be a lie to say I'm not excited to be done with school. It's also a lie to say that I feel completely prepared to face life after I leave BYU. But it's okay. I'll figure it out. Somehow I will find my way.

And it'll be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment