Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Plain City, you're dynamite.

I am so very, very blessed to have the opportunity to study at BYU. I love (almost) every minute of it and am very conscious of the ways it has helped me learn and grow. BYU has so much to offer and I am truly happy here. But there is one major thing that dorm life fails to offer: a family setting. True, I have grown extremely close to my fellow Tingey Hall residents. They are so good to me and many of them have become like sisters to me, but there is something so special about being in a home with a mom and a dad and a gaggle of kids running around that can't be replicated, no matter how fun or exciting or comfortable another residence may be.

Luckily for me, I was able to experience family life this weekend. I obviously wasn't with my own family, but I was with Julayne's and that was almost as good. On Friday, Julayne and I packed up a friend's pick-up truck and headed up to Plain City, Utah to spend the long weekend. And what a good weekend we had!




A Few Highlights:
  • The Goat Walk: Julayne's family has two lovely goats, Winnie (black) and Moo (white). As is custom in the thriving metropolis of Plain City, we took them on a leisurely walk about the neighborhood. Actually that's a lie. It is never leisurely to walk goats (middle right). The whole walk was spent either shoving them to get them to walk or being walked by them. At least we got our exercise in! It would be a lie to say that I had anything other than a grand time. (top right and top left) I can now cross take goats for a walk off of my Bucket List. (I'm serious....it really was on there. Ever since Julayne told me that they routinely take their goats for walks, I've been obsessed with the idea).
  • Moving the House: Ok. It wasn't a real house. It was the clubhouse portion of a swing set.(middle left) But it might as well have been a real house because it was heavy. Julayne's family bought the swing set from a friend and we had to go pick it up. It was cold, muddy, and took a really, really long time. But that was a-ok. 
  • Imitating the Goats: The goats do this headbutt thing where they both jump in the air, twist their bodies, and then headbutt. Its hysterical. Naturally they only did it when I didn't have my camera ready. But, I got a picture of each of them doing it separately (top middle) so you can use that for reference. Anyway, Julayne and I decided it would be grand to imitate the goats. So, after one very patient photographer, a lot of giggling, and me falling once (or twice or three times) this (bottom middle) is the best we got. It's not very good...but we thought we were hysterical
  • Anne of Green Gables Marathon: It is very unlikely that you will find two bigger fans of Anne that Julayne and I. To say that we are obsessed is an understatement. I don't have a picture to represent this, but I actually have a blog post dedicated solely to it in the making. And by "it" I mean Gilbert Blythe...
  •  Hanging out with the Little Boys: As the only girl in a family of six kids, I've always said that when I'm older and married, I want lots and lots of little girls that I can dress in puffy dresses and play dress up with.  However, after playing pirates and knights with Julayne's three adorable brothers (bottom left), I have decided that having a lot of little boys to balance out the ballet lessons and girl drama would be just wonderful. Little boys are fun and energetic and, let's face it, who could say no to such cute little guys? 
  • Home Cooking: I feel that this is self explanatory. I never fully appreciated having a meal made for me until college. And now I make the most of every opportunity to have one! Luckily, Julayne's mama is a wonderful cook, just like my own mama (:
I needed a break from school and Provo and this was such a wonderful one. It was really sad to come back home; almost as sad as leaving my own family. Probably because Julayne's family was so welcoming, kind, and inviting. I really felt like I belonged. 

But, now I'm back here in Provo, back to the daily grind. Can't say that I'm completely thrilled at the moment, but I'll warm back up to it eventually. And until then, we all have a Gilbert Blythe post to look forward to. (:

Have a fabulous day!


No comments:

Post a Comment