Tuesday, April 2, 2013

sometimes entertainingly awkward things happen to me

Monday, 8:53 am, between the SWKT and Eyring Science Center

I was just plodding along like I do after my 8:00 class when I saw a friend of mine. "Hey, Scott*!" I greeted him. He said hello as well and just after he did, I heard a voice from the other side of me. 

"Oh heeeeeey," it said, ringing with false recognition and familiarity. 

I turned to see a boy I had never before seen. I cocked my head, rather confused as to why he was greeting me like we were old buddies. 

"You just said 'Hey, Scott,' didn't you?" he asked, somewhat awkwardly. 

"Yeeeah," I said slowly. "To a guy walking the other direction. Who I know." 

"Oh." He said. "Because my name is Scott, too. Weird coincidence." 

I laughed. "Yeah, I guess so. I'm Maddie...it's nice to meet you!" I was trying to make this nonawkward and use it as a haha-isn't-it-funny-how-we-started-this-conversation kind of things. 

But Other Scott just wasn't having it. "Yeah...it's nice to meet you, too. Haveagoodday." And with that, he abruptly changed direction and walked away.

Laughing a little, I continued my trek to my 9:00 class.

*Name has been changed to protect the identity of the innocent 

Monday, 1:06 pm, Entrance to the HBLL

A man walked a few steps ahead of me as I approached the door to the joy-sucking-day-ruining building that is the library. He swung the door open and then paused for a moment, holding the door so that it wouldn't close on my face. At the exact moment that I reached up to grab the door, he let go of it, and as his hand descended, his fingers intertwined perfectly with mine for a split second, before he jerked away so violently that you'd think my hand were on fire.

Is my life full of awkwardness and uncomfortable moments? Absolutely.

Would I have it any other way? Absolutely not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment